Notice of severance of a joint tenancy
If you own a property jointly with a spouse or partner, you’ll either own it as ‘joint tenants’ or ‘tenants in common’.
If you own your property as joint tenants and one of you dies, the surviving partner becomes the sole owner of the whole property, regardless of what is stated in the deceased partner’s will.
Tenants in common each have separate ownership of their share of the property. This means that, if one partner passes away, their share goes to whoever is named in their will (this could be children from a previous relationship, for example).
If you own your property as joint tenants, but would like to make sure that some or all of your stake in your home is left to someone else in the event of your death, you may wish to convert or ‘sever’ the joint tenancy to become tenants in common.
You can use our simple document to sever a joint tenancy. You’ll get two copies of the notice of severance, an SEV form and a covering letter to inform the Land Registry of the change.
Please note that this document can only be used in relation to property in England and Wales that has two joint tenants. Land Registry forms are reproduced with the permission of HM Land Registry.
Self Service & Expert Legal Review
- Draft your document online by answering a series of simple questions
- Online explanation and guidance notes
- Telephone and email support
- Secure online document transfer to our Wills Specialists for legal review
- Notification when your document has been reviewed and is ready for printing
|Notice of severance of a joint tenancy||
|Create an online document|
|Guidance notes provided|
|Save your document & finish it later|
|Expert Legal Review|
|Check for contradictions or duplications|
|Support from our legal team|
Want to preview this document before purchasing?
Add these products to your will for complete peace of mind
A will ensures your estate and assets are correctly distributed
Optionally, state your funeral wishes, personal items and Guardians
Registering your will helps it to be found after your death
Need to find a will? Use our wills search service to quickly locate it
* The legal review involves our wills specialists reviewing the answers you provided when completing your document questionnaire. It provides comfort that if you properly execute or sign your document it will comply with legal formalities and meet the requirements you specified.